Saturday, January 24, 2015

A Delicious Breakfast and a Wonderful Weekend

I really enjoy my weekends off. Saturdays happen to be perfect for the types of things I did today: a little laundry and housework, a nice long walk with the dog, a homemade breakfast with a steaming cup of my favorite coffee, a good book, an old favorite movie and a couple of short naps!


Jeff is out of town for a guys' weekend which means that I am on my own for breakfast for the next few days. Traditionally, he is the one to make the breakfast (and most other meals) in the house, so I had to fend for myself. I decided to turn to an old favorite breakfast recipe that's really hard to mess up. My grandma made this for me quite a bit when I was younger and it's one of my favorites: "Eggs in a Frame" (I've also heard these called "Peek-a-Boo eggs"). 

You will need: 

2 slices of bread
2 eggs
1 tbsp butter
cooking spray
salt and pepper to taste

Directions:

1. Add some cooking spray to a pan and turn on low heat. 

2. Place the bread in the toaster and lightly toast the two pieces of bread. They will finish toasting in the pan, so when I say "lightly toast", I mean it! 


3. Butter both sides of each piece of toast (Just to clarify, I never said "healthy", just "easy to make!")

4. Find a shot glass (or any glass with a smaller diameter) and use it to remove a center circle of each slice of the buttered toast.


5. By now, the pan should be nice and heated up. Crack an egg into the pan as if you were making your run-of-the-mill pan fried eggs. 

6. Get one of the pieces of toast without its center and place it on top of the egg, leaving the opening in the toast for the yolk of the egg. Do the same with the other egg/toast. Add the circle cut outs on the pan for some extra toasting, too! 


7. Cook the "Eggs in a Frame" for a few minutes, turning once. Cook longer for yolks that are solid all the way through, or less for a little more runny yolk. The circle toast cut outs make great "dippers" for a runny yolk! 


I hope you all have a relaxing, lovely weekend! 
-k


No comments:

Post a Comment