Wednesday, January 15, 2014
The Best Carpet Cleaner for Pet Accidents
Most of you know that I have a dog named Keeda. She is a *little* spoiled at times but really is a part of the family. :) I rescued her almost a year ago and am so glad I did!
Keeda is potty-trained for the most part but has the occasional accident. If you have pets you know that NOTHING is worse than the smell of dog urine in the carpet.
I made the mistake of cleaning up the urine with a commercial carpet cleaner. I was bothered that I had purchased one of the most expensive bottles yet the smell persisted. I did some reading and learned that ammonia is one of the main ingredients in carpet cleaner and ammonia is also in urine. This is why instead of getting rid of the odor it makes it worse!
I have now found a fantastic way to clean up the messes that is natural, easy to do and inexpensive.
You will need:
-1 cup water
-1 cup vinegar
-a soft scrub brush
-1/4 cup baking soda
-1 tablespoon dish soap
-1/2 cup hydrogen peroxide
-a wet/dry vac (optional)
1. Absorb as much of the urine as possible using paper towels (or a towel if you prefer)
2. Combine the vinegar and water and put this mixture liberally on the stain.
3. Use the scrub brush to work the solution deep into the carpet fibers.
4. Use a wet/dry vac to suck up the excess moisture if you have one, otherwise use a towel or paper towels to absorb some of the mixture. Allow the carpet to dry completely.
5. Sprinkle the baking soda over the area
6. Combine the dish soap and hydrogen peroxide and work this into the carpet.
7. When the area has completely dried, vacuum.
Hopefully you don't have to deal with pet accidents a lot, but if you happen to have one that needs cleaning up I have found that this works great!